In accordance with Chapter 42.56 RCW, I’d like to submit the following request for public records on behalf of the Freedom Foundation. Specifically, I am seeking the following for each DOL employee currently employed in a union-represented bargaining unit:
- First name
- Middle name
- Last name
- Job title
- Full birthdate. If the employee is a criminal justice employee pursuant to RCW 42.56.250, please produce the day and withhold the employee’s year and month of birth.
- Work email address
- Bargaining unit indicator, including any or all of the following:
- Name of the entity recognized as the exclusive bargaining representative
- The Public Employment Relations Commission decision number defining the bargaining unit
- Other descriptor used by DOL to identify the bargaining unit
- FTE status/percentage
- Current rate of pay
- Work mailing address
- Duty station address/location
It is my preference to receive responsive document(s) electronically in Microsoft Excel or comma separated value (CSV) format.
As you process this request, please keep the following three points in mind.
First, I am not seeking and do not want to receive any indication as to the union membership status of individual employees.
Second, please note that, pursuant to the Washington State Supreme Court’s recent decision in WPEA v. Freedom Foundation, public employees names and dates of birth are subject to disclosure under Chapter 42.56 RCW.
And third, please note that the purpose for which these records are requested — informing public employees of their constitutional rights — was recognized by the Washington State Supreme Court in WPEA v. Freedom Foundation as not subject to the commercial purpose exemption in RCW 42.56.070(8).
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have about the nature of this request. Thank you for your assistance.